Craig McEwan. Pro Boxer October 26 2014
Craig McEwan (born 13 April 1982) Boxes and trains at the same club in Clovenstone that he started out at when he was just 7. Inspired and coached by his dad Rab. Craig first started competing aged eleven and quickly developed into one of Scotland's top amateur boxers in his teenage years.
As an Amateur he fought his way through a massive 376 matches. Won ten gold medals at international tournaments, and captained the Scottish International team on a regular basis. Pop a load of other awards in there, like being given the glory of being the Scottish Champion at both junior and senior level, European Champion, British & Irish four Nations Champ and winning a bronze medal in 2002 & 2005 at the Commonwealth games then breaking Scotlands amateur record by winning 3 gold medals at international level and you start to see that Craig is a powerhouse of boxing destruction.
Craig turned professional in 2006 with a record of 21 wins, 10 by way of knock out
and where else would you expect the powerhouse to showcase his skill- but of course there could only be one place good enough; Hollywood. Under the watchful and well known eye of boxing trainer Freddie Roach. Aligned with the guys fighting out of Oscar De La Hoyas camp at Golden Boy Promotions.
Right now Craig trains everyday at Clovenstone and what a fantastic atmosphere they've created, in a real home spun heros club. So expect to see more dynamic action from this Scottish ballistic fighting champ. Cahoonas caught up with Craig after a Saturday morning session in the gym with Craig and asked him a few questions. (After I caught my breath and had a sit down for a while first mind.)
1) What is your greatest sporting achievement to date?
1. Well there's a lot lol but fighting in Vegas 5 times, being part of one the best gyms in the world. Being managed by one of the best boxing trainers in the world being signed with Golding boy!
2) What will be your greatest sporting challenge this year?
2.i had a lot of challenges in my career but one big one is trying to get a fight!
3) What or who got you hooked into your sport?
3. My dad.
4) Who is your sporting hero?
4. No real Heros but I looked up to Suger Ray Lenard.
5) 95% of all sportswear bought in the UK is imported. What is your opinion on that?
5.Well it's hard to get stuff here but it looks like theres a lot of shops in uk/scotland now but £££
6) How do you relax and what's your poison of choice?
6.family time I have 3 boys so you can imagine.
7) You're chopping wood, do you use a chainsaw or an axe?
7.for quickness chainsaw. But for training an axe.
8) How would you like to be remembered?
8. Just a good guy!
9) Haggis yes or no?
10) Beards are back in fashion, would you ever consider growing a chin sporran?
10. I have tryed to grow a beard and I can't, so I can't consider it!